Return to UK COVID Test: Antigen Test & Certificate for Return to the UK
With the restrictions and rules on travel being able to change at a moment’s notice, it is always good practice to be prepared in regards to testing yourself for COVID. In this article we will be exploring a return to UK covid test.
The effort of preventing the spread of infection isn’t limited to domestic life, it also applies when it comes to travelling overseas. Depending on where you visit, you may need to prove your status as someone not infected, in this article, we at Official Rapid Tests have all the answers you need.
What test do I need to return to the UK?
You may be wondering ‘What COVID test do I need to return to the UK?’ As it stands, to return or visit the UK, you are not required to take a test or fill out any forms, regardless of your vaccination status. There is no return to the UK COVID test.
With that being said, it can be likely that depending on where you visit, you may need to show proof of a negative test or vaccination. Acceptable tests vary from country to country, so it is best to check the guidance before and during your visit.
It is always better to be cautious and considerate of the people around you, this is why even having an antigen test handy can help you not accidentally infect anyone close to you, or members of the public who are at risk or have existing health conditions.
So if you’re asking yourself ‘What COVID test do I need to return to the UK’? The answer is.. None. But in this age of uncertainty, it is always better to be prepared, as guidelines can change instantly depending on the circumstances.
But just because you don’t need to test on your return, it does not mean restrictions have been removed everywhere else. So with that being said, let us tell you about a simple return to UK test that is accessible and quick, and valid as proof of infection status, if travel guidance does change.
What is a return to UK COVID test?
A return to UK covid test is a type of Covid self-test that you can take on your return to the UK
It is a simple, fast and affordable antigen test. It is suitable for unvaccinated travellers arriving into the UK.
The test kit generates your test results within just 15 minutes, so it is a quick and reliable service. We guarantee results within 15 minutes or your money back.
If you test negative for Covid-19, you will also receive a signed doctor’s Certificate for Travel, which verifies that you are not infected with the coronavirus.
This travel certificate can be used as proof of negative Covid status for travel to the UK, EU and major travel destinations. The certificate is accepted by many countries including the UK, France, Italy, Poland, Greece, Switzerland, Spain and Germany.
We have completed over 150,000 pre-departure tests, which have helped people travel to over 78 countries across the world.
Below, we will explain the antigen test and how to administer it.
What is an Antigen test?
Antigen test kits are not the same as a PCR test kit. PCR test kits use a primer (a particular strand of DNA of the subject being looked for) to ascertain whether the testee is infected. Whereas Antigen test kits use lab-made antibodies to search for antigens from the COVID-19 Virus.
Antigen testing kits have become a common method in establishing whether or not the testee has covid. This is because antigen testing kits can be done from home, with results made apparent in a much shorter frame of time.
As opposed to PCR test kits that provide results in 24 hours (due to them being tested in labs), antigen kits provide results in 15 minutes. The method of testing follows a simple procedure, different to the PCR method and is as follows, to take a rapid antigen test:
Below, we will briefly highlight the process of taking an antigen test yourself:
(Not all rapid antigen tests are the same. E.g. some test kits come with the tube and liquid in separate parts. So, always read the instructions on the box or leaflet before you do the test.)
Start by washing your hands with soap or clean with sanitizer, then grabbing a watch or timer.
In the test kit, there should be a:
- White strip which shows you the test result
- A long stick with 1 soft end (swab)
- A tube with liquid inside
- A lid for the tube
When taking the test, make sure to:
- Take the long stick (swab) out of the packet. Do not touch the soft part at the end of the stick.
- Put the soft part of the stick up your nose.
- Put it all the way up until you feel it touch the back of your nose.
- Rotate the swab around the inside of your nose.
- Count to 15 slowly.
- When the stick is in your nose, you can press on the side of your nose to ensure the swab has made proper contact.
- Repeat the process in the other nostril with the same swab you used initially.
- When you are done, put the stick into the tube.
- Stir the stick in the tube 10 times.
- Gently squeeze the sides of the tube together 10 times.
- Take the stick out of the tube.
- Put the cap tightly on the tube.
- Squeeze 3 or 4 drops of liquid onto the tiny circle on your white strip.
- Set your timer or watch to the time that the box says (this could be 10, 15 or 20 minutes).
- When the time is up, check the strip to see what it says. Only read the strip at that time and not later. It might be incorrect then.
Do you need an antigen test kit? Our website provides these test kits for you.
Benefits of Antigen testing
- Self-administering an antigen test can protect those around you if you are infected, as you can do them from the room you are isolating in.
- It will save time, Antigen tests are quick and thorough and you will have your results in 15 minutes.
- Useful for travelling overseas to places that require a negative result.
- If your test is negative you can receive a certificate for not being infected.
Getting your recovery certificate
The process of getting your certificate is very easy and accessible.
- Order the certificate online, which only takes 2 minutes.
- There is no appointment necessary, so it is a fast and reliable service.
- Then, upload your evidence by using a smartphone or computer to upload a photo of your test evidence. Results from a PCR or Antigen test are acceptable.
- If we approve your application, you will receive your certificate in 15 minutes.
As we mentioned, you will need to take a test and upload the results in order to be eligible for the certificate. We at Official Rapid Tests also provide test kits, all you need to do is head to our website.
We are open 24/7, seven days a week for orders and results.
We offer the option for you to buy multiple COVID recovery certificates if need be. We are a suited testing provider for group travellers & families who are wanting to purchase more than one certificate.
Buy multiple certificates in one order to save time and guarantee your travel plans.
Get your antigen test and certificate today
Official Rapid Tests is a trusted global supplier for Covid testing. We are the highest-rated UK Government listed provider on Trustindex.
All Official Rapid Tests are verified by the EU and the UK Government. We work with qualified front-line doctors and tech experts to come up with the most convenient testing solutions for travel. We blend technology and medical expertise to offer the fastest and most convenient PCR testing service on the market.
If you are not sure which Covid test you may need, take our Quiz on our webpage here, and this will tell you which type of Covid test is suitable based on your travel requirements.
Within this article, we hope to have provided valuable information for your travelling and testing needs whilst sharing facts about the return to UK COVID test.
Find out more about Official Rapid Tests by browsing our website here.
We have over 120 clinics nationwide where you can get a Covid test. Find your nearest test centre by clicking here.
We are open 24/7, seven days a week.
Read more articles on travelling and Covid tests on our blog here.